December 21, 2013

Cold Season's Greetings

As the year turns, we start waiting for the light to return.....


With the Winter Solstice upon us, I want to take this opportunity to wish my family, friends &; followers a peaceful Solstice time and a happy and prosperous 2013.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:Of cabbages--and kings-- 
Lewis Carroll

I realize that I've been very quiet these past 7 to 8 months.  So ...... here is the story in brief.  I'm going to step back, slow down and take life a bit easier.

Being diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis has left me confused in both mind and body. I went from not being able to do anything to a shadowy existence. It's not easy to make up new habits and ways of life at age 70. As one of my sisters said, "you had the good times, now you're freaking old so get used to it!"  Medication has been holding the major symptoms at bay but leaves me tired and sometimes thinking impaired.  Beyond that I have reclaimed an almost decent normal life with the help of a dear companion who puts up with my nasty attacks, washes dishes and will drive me anywhere. He is a comfort and a luxury I can't do without these days. 

Where am I in beading and creativity.  I can no longer travel to teach.  I can (and will) do small in-studio sessions by prior arrangement.  I will continue to publish patterns and pattern sets.  However one major side effect of the medications is a worsening of the terrible procrastination  symptoms.  It just seems to take me three to four times longer to get anything done.  I'm going to attempt to do another Spring String-Along; "Garden Stripes".   Bear with me, please -- I have the ideas, it's just getting them diagramed, written up and the samples crocheted.  Instead of 7 days between sections, it could be 10 days. Anyone want to trade comma, spelling, graph and grammar proofing for a string-along spot?  I have one valued helper in Terri, but a backup wouldn't hurt.  


The beading mess is normal, alive and multiplying.

I can't not create - it's who and what I am.  It just cannot go back to a full time job with all-nighters to get to shows or workshops. Hold on -- I may take more exploratory side trips and become another Grandma Moses.  Who knows what the future will bring.  I'm sure going to find out as soon as I get things more organized.  

I'll still be around, more in the background, but doing something.  If you are in Southern Arizona or South New Hampshire for a couple more summers;  get in touch and let me set up a more private workshop for you in my studio.  


2 comments:

  1. Judith, take heart; at 73 I am tired and thinking impaired...and don't take medication that causes the symptoms! I have a couple of medical issues, but have decided not to go the pill route. Housework = almost all given up, except for short bursts of cleaning. Beads = I will never give up! I find that writing up projects is a good task as it does make my slow brain attempt to think logically. Have a great holiday and best wishes for a healthy, happy 2014! Jeanne Evans

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always difficult to make these changes. I totally understand everything you describe, because I deal with it myself. I find it helps to remember that the only deadlines I have are the ones I set for myself, and that it's okay to take a break when you need to.

    Much love to you. This can be a wonderfully creative time, as you explore those new sidetrips, taking the turns you've always wondered about but didn't have time for until now.

    ReplyDelete