August 6, 2006

Bead Hoard

Over on Bead Talk they have been talking about Charlottes and how many of us have a favorite bead that we seem to save for that special project that never seems to get done.

I have several hanks of size 24/0 beads that I bought when I didn't know that bead size mattered. I still take them out, look at them and am amazed that there can be beads that small.
.
.
.





.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I'm no different than all the rest of the beaders and my stash of beads has many in it that I just like to look at and play with. Every year at the Tucson Gem and Mineral show there is something that has my name on it and I end up buying them and seldom using them.


In 2003, it was strands of Vintage red Czech glass and Green Bead Agate;
.
.
.

.

.
.
.
.


In 2004 it was large red dyed Mother of Pearl beads; in 2005 it was huge green chalcedony beads. They are still unused and I was admiring them just yesterday.





.
Oh yes, and then there was the year I could finally afford what they were calling Peruvian Blue Opal......
.
.
.
.
.

.


.
.
A couple of years ago I came into a small inheritance. I did the right thing with it..... I bought a new car, my orange Honda Element..... and Delica beads.

.

.




And then there are my vintage beads that I can't bear to part with and still haven't found a use for.

My daughter became a printmaker as she likes to think, collect and deal with multiples of things. I don't know what my excuse is, but be it beads or the luscious new 100% polyester DMC floss, I seem to also be into multiples..... Watch for the next issue of "Bead Patterns, The Magazine" and a "Snazzy Chains" project to see what I found to do with beads and the DMC Light Effects floss - yummy!

2 comments:

  1. Don't I know what you mean about those beads bought for a special project... yet there they sit.

    The particular beads I'm talking about though are those gorgeous focal beads. Lampwork, polymer, and the like that I bought because because they'd make a gorgeous necklace or bracelet with. But rather than use them, there they sit in their cases like precious jewels behind bullet proof glass.

    I take them out and look at them then put them back for fear that I wont do them justice. Silly I know but there they are. I've promised myself to knock that off and start using them. Should be an interesting adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have SO been wanting to try chain-stitch crochet necklaces; I see ones in the store, and think, OOO I could make one even better. Lol!

    I've tried wire crochet a little, and want to learn bead crochet, too.

    I recently saw a bead crochet rope w/faux tiny pearls my grandma (who passed away three years ago) did in the 70's. I immediately told my mom, when you're gone, I want that. Lol! Gotta have priorities. JK. Hopefully I won't get that necklace for a long time, then. I'm glad, when I saw it, that I now know what all work goes into it . . .

    ReplyDelete