April 15, 2018

Immortal Amaryllis

 I've had this orange amaryllis for about 6 years now and by all rights it should not have survived at all. While I was Snowbirding, running back and forth from AZ to NH at the end of the winter I would put the pot out in the dry garden and leave it at the AZ house for 6months.  I fully expected it to shrivel up and die during the 100+ degree summer temps. Much to my surprise, in November I'd look at it and see the small edge of a green leaf at the top of the big bulb.  So I watered it and brought it in from the freezing cold.  It would reward me with six large curved leaves - just 6, no more, no less.

Last year just before my move, I transplanted it to a larger pot and brought it to Tucson with me.  It actually put out 3 new pups (bulblets) and went dormant for the winter.

10 days ago I noticed a bloom stalk amongst the leaves and then a second one.  I couldn't believe that it was going to bloom for the first time in 6 years.  I brought it in the house and am enjoying it.  Now if I could just figure out what I did to make it flower again.


There are other things in bud in my postage stamp yard and around me, however I love the Saguaro blossoms and the Palo Verde trees the most.

The Saguaros put out a crown of blooms all the way at the top.  You can see them on my cactus, just barely.

The Palo Verde trees out do themselves with small yellow flowers.  I'm glad this one is across the street and I can see it, but don't have to clean up underneath it.


I'm still settling into my Tucson quarters, trying to rearrange things to fit.  Some time in the next couple of months I'm going to have to do a large bead room clean out.  If I don't, then I'll have to buy a couple more Plano storage boxes - which means having another wall cabinet made and an addition put on my studio! I just downsized and am not ready to add onto the house & studio at this point. 

some things that need a new home.


If you want or need something, drop me a line and I'll see if I have it and want to get rid of it.

1 comment:


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete