July 28, 2009

House Moat & Studio Spaces

A very wet Spring & Summer told us that we needed to do something to keep the basement dryer than a swimming pool. In comes SR Jones and a big CAT to dig out the foundation, seal coat, insulate and put in a drain.




The project got dubbed "the Moat". A weekend of heavy rains and we had a real moat! Friends suggested a draw bridge ("clapper" operated) as well as an art installation with 10,000 little yellow duckies. Others thought we should try and entice the gator, supposedly spotted in Pierce lake (down the hill from us).

Yesterday they got the big ditch filled in and are doing grade work around the house. Sigh, now I need to figure out how to reseed a whole yard's worth of sand and hope grass grows again.


Studio Space Quandary
.
My current studio space is an irregular triangle with a cathedral ceiling. The furniture was what I kept from the big house when I moved in 9 years ago. It's also a bit bigger than what I'm going to have in the new house.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The new space is what used to be the dining room. It has open access to both the kitchen and living area. I know it's an opportunity to reorganize and clean out, but .......
.
.
.
.
Change comes harder the older one gets. I've worn out my tape measure trying to figure out what will fit where and I've not yet come up with anything that I think will work. The biggest question is how to make a separation from the living room without shutting out the natural light. Or rather how to hide the mess that is usually my studio?

Any creative ideas would be welcomed. I'm stuck right now.

2 comments:

  1. The answers will show up... It just takes a bit longer as we get older. I think it's because some part of us thinks "This is IT... have to get it right." You're making great progress and it will be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dianne11:41 AM

    Don't know how large the opening is that you want to cover but ... how about hanging a honeycomb shade? If the opening is door size, you might be able to install a channel on the sides in which the shade would ride up and down. That would keep the shade from moving when it is down ... or you could weight the bottom. The nice thing about a shade is that you can raise it up when you don't need to hide the studio.

    ReplyDelete