October 9, 2010

Saturday Finds


Not quite peak foliage here in New Hampshire, but getting close to it. It's supposed to drop into the 30's tonight and I expect we'll have a frost. It was a beautiful day to be out and about after a week of gray rainy days.



I had to go grocery shopping and decided to also poke around a bit in Jaffery. I haven't been down that way in quite some time. We stopped in at a new (to me) antique store and I had a hard time keeping my plastic in my pocket.



This pegged board came out of an old Starrett factory. It has that well oiled old factory patina to it. I collect balls in all sizes and it'll be the perfect way to display some of them. What you see on the board are "end of shift" marbles from a ceramics factory. I'm told it was take what clay was left over, roll it up into balls (glaze and all) and stuff it into the kiln before going home. Sort of beads without holes. Now I need to dig out a selection from my collection. I have a large mercury glass ball, marble water treatment plant balls, glass witch's balls, cue balls, and gemstone balls. I thought these few things were quite unique and the peg rack will be useful too.

The best find, though, was a large 6 1/2" circumference plastic rod. I had been playing with photographing beaded bracelets on a water glass and saying I'd really like a piece of large Lexan rod for a mandrel. . . . and there it was in this antique store.



.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.



However, what the heck am I to do with all 3' of it? That's a bit of overkill for what I wanted it for. It just doesn't fit anywhere that I wouldn't trip over it.


All in all, it was a nice break, away from my desk, looking at what Fall is like in this neck of the woods.



P.S. now I need to find a candle pin and/or boccie ball for my collection.

1 comment:

  1. What a cool mandrell thing. I'll take a foot of it if we can figure out how to cut it (I'm sure one of our tool men could do it!). Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete