November 28, 2010

balls, balls, balls

Over the years I seem to have collected enough balls to now call it a collection. Everything from clay, glass, plastic and gemstone.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Finding display artifacts has been a challenge and I think I like the old manufacturing parts holder and candlesticks the best. In NH I also have a steam-bent wooden container full of smaller balls.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

This is one that I'd love to have, but alas .....

no room for something that big, nor the $8,000 to make it mine.

.
.
.
.
.
.
So here's a quandary. Last year I bought the small set of pool balls at a flea market and yesterday I found the larger vintage set. I only want 4 balls out of each set, leaving 24 orphaned balls. The large vintage set from Belgium is probably worth about $75 according to eBay.
.

Should I split the big ball set up or try and resell them as a whole set? Gary Wilson, gem/rock wizard, from Tucson Gem show says the older pool balls are solid color and he cuts them up for cabs and other jewelry items. Should I chance it and cut into one of the vintage balls and see if they are solid color or not? I really don't have the space to store the extra balls as it would mean taking space that beads would occupy.
.
Maybe one of you might like to buy my extras (1 or more) and relieve me of having to agonize over splitting something that maybe shouldn't be split? Comments on what to do would be welcomed - please.....

1 comment:

  1. I think you should look for individual balls at a flea market and not break up a complete set!

    Love your collection!

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete