December 7, 2010

Wire Play

I've had a request from a family member to recreate a Vogue necklace in less expensive materials. Not the actual design, but something that resembles it. The original was done in gold and faceted gemstones and cost the earth. I'm going to use it as an inspiration to make an industrial-looking necklace for a gift.
.
I started with galvanized steel wire from Home Depot. Well, that's where I was when I wanted materials, and wanted them right now. Research said that I could use vinegar and salt to either remove the galvanized coating and/or darken the wire. Yes, it worked to a certain extent, but the results were all a dull, ugly gray with a not-so-nice feel to it. Plus, the 18 GA. was almost too stiff to bend right. I might try the 24 GA for some wire bead crochet with 8/0 or 6/0 beads.
.
That meant another trip, this time to an ACE hardware store. The guys in there have learned to not ask what I want it for and just tell me where to find what they think I'm talking about. This time I got Dark Annealed Steel Wire in 24, 19, & 16 GA. It was in the fence and stove pipe section.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The thinner wire was in nice small packets at very reasonable costs. The large wire only came in a 5 lb. spool - cheap at $4, but what the heck am I ever going to do with 5 lbs. of this stuff?

.
.
.
.
.
.
One thing I've learned is to not use my jewelry tools for this stuff. I went out to the garage and grabbed the utilitarian, heavy duty pliers and cutter.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The wire also comes with a black, greasy coating. Again, research said to clean it with rubbing alcohol. Right now I'm trying to figure out how clean is clean. Will a quick rub of paste wax keep the finish at a color I want? That's next on my list to try out.
.
.
.
.
So, I've made a few jump rings.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

...and tried out a couple of components. I like the way the gray rock pearls look. I'm thinking of using them as singles in the necklace and as dangles with multiples.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I'm not sure I want any bling in this necklace, but a grouping of faceted and matted gemstones along with the gray pearls.



Today I've got to get some more yard cleanup done while this beautiful 70 degree weather is here in Arizona. Then maybe I'll have some time to get back to playing with the wire. It's always fun to try something different, even if it turns out to be a one-time project. I've always found that stretching creativity in another medium gives me fresh ideas all the way around.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like one of my trips to Home Depot to get copper wire. The man in line behind me told me that I didn't have enough wire to reach from the *** to the *** (whatever the heck those things were!) and looked at me like I was crazy when I told him it was for a jewelry experiment!!! Men! No imagination!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete