June 25, 2007

Bead Journal - June #2

Beads on Backing - finally
Note: edited to allow "click to view" larger beadwork images.

I just might make it with this piece by the end of June. It felt so good to finally be putting beads on the backing that I had to force myself to put it down at 1 am and go to bed. I flattened out two of the walking stick emblems that I collected on my travels earlier in the month. The enamel colors are striking and are icons of this month's "trip - journey" theme.
.
This is what my ATC-sized back for June's piece looks like. I did the graphics first and am now beading that thought or theme for the front.





As I put the piece down last night I picked up a twig I had collected in New Mexico and had an "aha moment". I'm so used to making wearable art that until that moment I had not thought of incorporating fragile things. This piece will be displayed, not worn, so I can use things that would not survive the wear and tear of a jewelery piece. Now that opens new opportunities and makes room for more creative journal pages.

11 comments:

  1. Yes! Definitely, it's fun to add other objects to the "page". Great start and a wonderful way to remember your travels! I'm looking forward to the finished piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judith,

    Great ideas and a wonderful way to document your journey :o) I'm trying to imagine what the whole series will be :o) Lillian from WA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this! Any chance you can post "click to enlarge" pictures so we can have a closer look?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I changed the post to allow a larger view of the beadwork photos. Grins....even I don't know what the whole series will be as I'm letting each month tell me wher I'm going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love the design juxtaposition that happened with the twig! And I really like your theme. Plus your beading looks so nice & neat! Good job!
    Hugs,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding that twig is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's looking nice. What is the backing made of and how will you join it to the front? I can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad that my fair state was able to contribute to your piece. I love the idea of using something organic like that twig -- so often we overlook the simplest of objects that give so much warmth to a piece.

    Can't wait to see the finished product.

    Kathy V in NM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great so far, my husband caught the greatest twig fishing the other day. I just had to save it.....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:49 AM

    I must be one of the unenlightened.
    What's an ATC?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking wonderful, Judith.
    What a great idea.

    sz --- ATC = Artist Trading Card

    Beadin' Gram

    ReplyDelete