June 24, 2007

Twining ~ rags to beads

Day 5 of AZ to NH Trip

.


We left Torrey UT with plans to see the pictographs in the Capitol Reef National Park.


.


RAGS ...

However, a stop in the Visitor's Center changed the plans. I bought a book on rag rugs and wanted to see the demonstration at the Gifford Homestead. I knew how the technique was used in basketry, but had not seen how it was used in rag rugs.


It was a joy to drive out of the stark rocks into this canyon pocket of lush green growing things dotted with fruit orchards. I'm sorry I didn't take more photos of the area.

Gifford House Kitchen


.
Rag Rug in simple pine frame
.
.
.
.
.
.


.
Detail of warping on nails



.
.
Detail of rag twining in process
.
.



.

See my next post for why I found this exciting as the technique gets swapped to beads on a Versa Loom.
.

The other rather nice surprise at the Gifford Homestead was finding fresh, home cooked pies and bread. We took a break from driving and sat under a tree, listening to the quiet country sounds, savoring the still-warm strawberry/rhubarb pie with fresh bread and jam for desert. Shut my eyes and it brought back childhood memories of my Grandmother's Missouri farm porch when the spring rhubarb came in.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, I just got back from a day and a half down there; we camped right beside a fruit orchard . . . . the trees and such kept it aLOT cooler than those red rock canyons, ridges, and mesas are outside the orchards.

    OOOO and they had fresh mulberries; I'd never had them before! I mentioned HEY ice cream in that flavor would be excellent, and my dad said they had some there for $1. I am SO peeved that I missed out on the fresh mulberry ice cream! I'll have to go back next time it's in season; they offer fresh fruit right near there, as it comes in season.

    I'll be posting some pics soon on my blog; they do not do it justice. Pics of the petroglyphs too, if they show up in the pics ok. I am still drenched in the huge variety of color displayed in the vast canvas of rock canyons and many other geological features, many of which looked like a variety of clay colors that some giant had dropped in various consistencies and stages of working with it.

    Sorry, I'm rambling! Just GORGEOUS country; I wish I could somehow translate the feel to jewelry; that might be a nice challenge . . .!

    ReplyDelete